The anti-TBR tag was created by Nicole from Nicole & Her Books!!
1. A popular book EVERYONE loves that you have no interest in reading?
Death in Her Hands by Ottessa Moshfegh – Pretty sure that if I tried to read this I’d DNF it like 10% in. I’ve read My Year of Rest and Relaxation and can confidently say that Ottessa Moshfegh’s books are just not for me. Also I heard there’s a lot of fatphobia in this book, which no, thanks ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Fake Accounts by Lauren Oyler – No offense but you couldn’t pay me to read this book. Like I’d rather do literally anything else than read this book. Like every time I see this book pop up on my feed I can feel myself recoiling from how little I want to read it.
The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V. E. Schwab – Again, no offense to people who like her books, but V. E. Schwab’s books are just so very MEDIOCRE and underwhelming to me.
2. A classic book (or author) you don’t have an interest in reading?
Charles Dickens. I can’t with Dickens. I’ve read most of Oliver Twist and a good chunk of Our Mutual Friend and I just CANNOT STAND his rambling writing style and convoluted plots. Also garbage female characters. Pass.
3. An author whose books you have no interest in reading?
There are A LOT:
- Ali Smith – tried reading the first book in her seasons quartet (is that even what it’s called?) and I DNF’d it so fast. I just don’t like her writing style at all and I’m pretty confident that I won’t get along with any other of her books.
- Garth Greenwell – I read What Belongs to You a while ago and really disliked it. Greenwell’s books are the kind of literary fiction that I hate: the super Literary kind that tries super hard to be deep and profound but is actually about making a whole bunch of super trivial and boring events seem like they are Super Important.
- Margaret Atwood – I have zero interest in Atwood and her politics.
- Haruki Murakami – Reading Norwegian Wood permanently put me off any Murakami for the rest of my life. And it’s pretty well-known how shitty his female characters are so…
- Donna Tartt – Again, the kind of literary fiction that I hate. I DESPISED The Secret History and will never understand why everyone likes it so much. Frankly, I find Tartt’s writing super pretentious and I’m 100% sure that I won’t be picking up any of her other books ever again.
3. A problematic author whose books you have no interest in reading?
4. An author you have read a couple of books from & have decided their books are not for you?
- Maggie O’Farrell – I hated her overly ornate writing style in Hamnet and have been told that that style continues in her other novels, so I’m gonna pass.
- Donal Ryan – I have read exactly 2 books by Donal Ryan: the first I skim read/DNF’d, and the second was my least favourite read of 2020. It’s gonna be a no from me when it comes to his books.
- Helen Oyeyemi – I read White is For Witching a while back and HATED IT WITH A PASSION. It was one of those novels that tries to be super mysterious for the ~suspense~ but just ends up being straightup confusing for no reason.
- Victoria Schwab
- Ottessa Moshfegh
5. A genre you have no interest in OR a genre you tried to get into & couldn’t?
Mysteries/thrillers and middle grade.
6. A book you have bought but will never read?
I don’t think I have an answer for this. I only buy books that I’ve read and loved so I don’t really have any books that I’ve bought but don’t want to read.
7. A series you have no interest in reading OR a series you started & have DNF’d?
The Winternight trilogy by Katherine Arden. The first book was fine, the second was a mess, and I’m pretty confident that I won’t like the third so I’m gonna save myself the bother of reading it.
8. A new release you have no interest in reading?
Milk Fed by Melissa Broder – This book falls into the Messy Woman trope that I hate (with some exceptions), and I can just tell from a million miles away that this would be book that I really would not like.
Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro – I’ve read Ishiguro’s Never Let Me Go and The Remains of the Day and found them both super boring and disappointing. I don’t think I’ll be reading anything from him again. Also, this has been getting pretty lukewarm reviews anyway…